2018 Teams + Topic Challenges
Click here for a full list of 2018 Teams + Topic Challenges.
- Complying in the Sky: How might we use technology to manage regulatory compliance across the many territories in which we fly? (Sponsored by LATAM)
- Whose Robot is it Anyway? What role can lawyers play in helping the public understand the entitlements of robots and their owners? (Sponsored by Legal Mosaic)
- Cultivating Resilience: how might blockchain and decentralised networks be utilised to help close the insurance protection gap in emerging economies? (Sponsored by Clyde & Co)
- Expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be surprised: How can we improve lawyers' project management skills from planning to execution to outcomes? (Sponsored by Pinsent Masons)
- Size Shouldn’t Matter: How can an in-house legal team be relevant to law firms and vendors regardless of spend? (Sponsored by Leah Cooper Consulting)
- Calm After the Storm: How can we best facilitate legal aid after a natural disaster?
- Make Good with What You’ve Got: How can existing resources be leveraged to provide quality legal information and services to refugees returning home after conflict? (Sponsored by LegalZoom)
- Knowledge Management or Mismanagement: How can knowledge management be utilized to help legal functions? (Sponsored by HSBC)
- Smooth Operator: How can we use technology to enhance our cultural competency and gain a competitive edge when operating across international markets? (Sponsored by Interlaw)
- Friend or Foe: How can lawyers close the access, information, and relationship gap for Australia’s aboriginal juvenile offenders? (Sponsored by Janders Dean)
- Decoding Diversity: How can blockchain be used to incentivize and enhance transparency of diversity within law firms in a way that comports with global privacy laws? (Sponsored by Holland & Knight)
- No Dodo: Given the increasing use of technology and a tighter focus on costs, how should we develop the skills, judgment, and creativity of the next generation of lawyers? (Sponsored by Linklaters)
- Redemption Song: How can technology help former prisoners forge a path from freedom to independence? (Sponsored by Microsoft)
- Contractual Gold: How can AI be used to mine and leverage contract data to facilitate proactive compliance, legal risk monitoring, and to observe market trends in real time? (Sponsored by Pinsent Masons)
- Steward of the Arts: What role can Spotify play in assisting unknown and emerging artists with the knowledge, tools, and legal services necessary for global success? (Sponsored by Spotify)
Past Teams + Topic Challenges
- The Role of In-house Counsel is Evolving Fast: How Can Lawyers in Law Firms use Technology to Keep Up? (Sponsored by Eversheds)
- Mentor? Sponsor? Advisor? What role should law school faculty play in student development?
- Blind Vision: How can law firms use technology to reduce bias in the lateral recruitment process? (DiversityLab)
- Changing Climates, Shifting Needs: How can Alt.Legal leaders take a bigger role in access to justice? (Sponsored by Avvo)
- Friend Rather Than Foe: How Can the Law Enable a Better Life for Migrants Held in Detention? (Sponsored by Janders Dean)
- Weakest Link or Front Line Fighter: How can law firms lead cybersecurity services for clients?
- Strategize This: How can external counsel help in-house counsel manage legal as a business?
- Growing Pains: How does a legal department stay functional, flexible, and sustainable from startup to Fortune 500? (Spotify)
- Cogito Ergo Sum: How Can Cognitive Technologies Transform the Way Financial Institutions Deal With the Impact of Regulatory Change on their Lending Documentation? (Sponsored by Pinsent Masons)
- Client Confidentiality in the Digital Era: How can law firms strengthen their cybersecurity measures?
- Legal Department 2020: How can in-house legal departments use AI to realize greater efficiencies? (Microsoft)
- Lawyering beyond borders: How can global legal practices streamline multi jurisdictional working by leveraging virtual tech?
- Legal Efficacy, Consumer Demand, and Market Approach: How Can Contract Visualizations Turn From Concept Into Reality? (LegalZoom)
- Defying Death by Disclaimer: How Can In-house Lawyers efficiently manage the Legal Risks of Consumer Marketing in a Digital, Customer Centric World? (BUPA)
- Culture of Mergers, Merger of Cultures: How to Get the Right Mix when Law Firms Combine
- Carrots and Sticks: What should be done when signatory countries and courts fail to uphold international obligations? (Sponsored by LATAM)
Click here for a list of teams + topic challenges.
- Teach an Old Dog New Tricks: How can Technology Help Aging Populations Know Their Rights?
- Microsoft’s HoloLens, Google Glasses, and Infinity AR: How Should Augmented Reality Change the Legal Marketplace?
- How Can Law Keep the Sporting Industry Fair? You Be the Referee
- Even Tradition Can Be Enhanced With Technology: How Can IT Improve Important Trial Processes?
- Fight or Flight: Where Can/Should Lawyers Go after Biglaw?
- Growing Pains: How Can Law Firm Leaders Manage and Leverage Today’s Multi-Generational Firm for the Future?
- More Minorities at the Top: What Will It Take To Increase and Sustain Diversity in High-Level Legal Leadership Positions in Law? (Sponsored by Diversity Lab)
- If Airlines Can Do It, Why Can’t Law Firms? How Can Law Firms Profitably Disaggregate Services Without Being Despised?
- Catch 22?: Assessing the Ethics programs of M&A Targets, Partners and Suppliers Without Reference to a Specific Country’s Laws or Regulations (Sponsored by Lockheed Martin)
- In a Big Data World, How Should Service Providers Strike a Balance Between Making Money and Responsibly Managing Users’ Data? (Sponsored by Microsoft)
- Does Practice Make Perfect? How Do We Find an Objective Measure of Legal Quality? (Sponsored by LegalZoom)
- In the Modern New Legal Education Landscape, How Can We Measure Success?
- Cooking Up a Secret Sauce: The Law School Application and Admissions Process, Reimagined
- How Can Lawyers Use Technology to Help Millions Around the World Live Longer, Healthier, Happier Lives? (Sponsored by Bupa)
- Forget Me Not? Helping Today’s Youth Gain Protection From a Right to be Forgotten Tomorrow
- What's the Recipe: How Can General Counsel Offices Measure Success Internally and Across the Organization? (Sponsored by UnitedLex)
- Connecting Lawyers to Social Entrepreneurship: The Ultimate Two-For? Lawyers Give and Get
- The Right to Rat: Protecting Whistleblowers from a Bad Rap
Click here to see team members by topic.